The Engineering Team is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all building equipment and systems, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), Fire Life Safety (FLS), and Integration. Housed within their layered team is our Building Controls Team, which offers additional in house installation, programming, and management services. Engineering also works on due diligence of newly acquired building ensuring that we stick to outline budgets. The Engineering Team also drives green and sustainability initiatives by using the best technologies available and continuously working to lessen our carbon footprint.
The purpose of this role is to professionally respond to electrical control, integration and HVAC building systems service requests as directed and to effectively and efficiently repair, operate and maintain integration low voltage systems, and medium voltage electrical and mechanical controls systems as assigned.
Director of Building Systems
- Perform Low Voltage/Network Installation, panel installations, etc., on building automation systems and for integration interface. Low voltage controls networking and repair knowledge a plus.
- Service and Troubleshooting HVAC and MEP electrical equipment as assigned by the Team Leader.
- Perform electrical installation services as it relates to HVAC and electrical automation.
- Perform services as it relates to electrical DDC component installation and troubleshooting.
- Perform electrical services as it relates to LAN and maintenance and integrity.
- Maintain superior appearance and working condition of Integration, HVAC, and MEP electrical systems as assigned by the Team Leader.
- Interface with Controls contract service providers.
- Develop and maintain positive tenant relations through prompt and courteous response to tenant requests.
- Respond to multiple requests from Team Leader and prioritize accordingly to alleviate immediate problems. Report changing priorities back to Team Leaders.
- Ensure optimum response and action time to the repair or maintenance incurred by service requests.
- Maintain professional appearance and manner at all times.
- Maintain calm demeanor in emergency situations.
- Assist in complying with all City, State and Federal safety and environmental laws, codes, standards and regulations.
- Assist in the ordering, stocking, and inventory of electrical parts and supplies as directed by the Team Leader.
- Assist in the electrical training and development of all fellow Engineers.
- Assume additional duties as delegated by the Team Leader.
- Act as a team member with all employees of the management staff.
- Comply with all applicable Bedrock standards.
- Ability to climb up and down stairs and ladders.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. or more.
- Ability to work standing all day.
- Ability to access remote work areas, i.e., crawl spaces, roofs.
- Ability to use olfactory, auditory and visual senses.
- Ability to utilize full manual dexterity (i.e. sitting, squatting, bending, crawling, kneeling, lifting, walking, manipulating tools with limbs extended).
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements.
- Ability to accommodate varying work schedules.
- Intermediate working knowledge of electrical DDC based building control and integration systems.
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Intermediate working knowledge of electrical, electronic, pneumatic, and mechanical control devices.
- Knowledge of basic hand tools, i.e., socket sets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, saws and hammers, etc.
- Knowledge of power tools (pneumatic, electric, or engine drive) drill motors, saws, grinder, impact wrenches, etc.
- Ability to read and use shop manuals and drawings.
- Ability to read steam, gas, water, and electric utility meters.
- Ability to use electrical measuring and recording equipment such as multi-meter electrical testers, electronic temperature indicators, DDC controls testing instruments, etc..
- Ability to use deductive logic for troubleshooting equipment
- Intermediate computer keyboard interface skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Any license required by local, state or national municipalities for electrical services provided, for example:
- Current City of Detroit Journeyman Electrician license
- Master electrician license
- Minimum Five years’ experience as it relates to electronic DDC based control environment installation, diagnostics, programming, medium voltage installation services as it relates to MEP and electrical automation.
- Indoors – 80%, Outdoors – 20%
- Modest & Secure
- Independently Driven
- Intelligently Collaborative
- Never Satisfied
- Relentless Commitment to Service